Mission & Vision
The MISSION of the Geological Association of Canada
is to facilitate the scientific well-being and professional development of its members, the learned discussion of geoscience in Canada, and the advancement, dissemination and wise use of geoscience in public, professional and academic life.
The VISION of the GAC®
is a geoscience community, which is knowledgeable, professionally competent and respected, whose input and advice are relevant, widely sought and utilized, and whose vital contribution to the economic prosperity and social well being of the nation is widely acknowledged.
GAC® … Recognizes Excellence
- presents prestigious medals and awards to recognize excellence and service
- awards 32 undergraduate earth science students with a one-year free membership and a $50 gift certificate for the GAC Bookstore
- awards grants to 3 annual student conferences
- awards student chapter grants to participating universities/colleges
- appoints a GAC “campus representative” in each of 32 Canadian universities
GAC® … Promotes Life-Long Learning
- publishes books and journals
- provides continuing education opportunities at GAC-MAC conferences and at other GAC-sponsored activities
- sponsors Nuna conferences
- sponsors the annual national Howard Street Robinson Lecture
- sponsors the annual national Hutchison Medal Lecture Tour
GAC® … Maintains relationships
- through memberships in the Canadian Federation of Earth Sciences (CFES),and the World Petroleum Congress (WPC)
- by supporting the Canadian Geological Foundation (CGF)
- by appointing a representative to the Partnership Group for Science & Engineering (PAGSE)
- by appointing a representative to the North American Commission on Stratigraphic Nomenclature (NASCN)
These are just a few of the many benefits that GAC® members enjoy.